Sunday, November 7, 2010

I would like that dog not neglected please...

This week we travel to Iowa, where there was a pet store charged by the USDA for numerous violations of the Animal Welfare Act. July of 1999, Mary and Rick Broderson were doing business as Fifth Avenue Pets in Kiron, Iowa when the USDA stepped in and charged them with several offenses under the AWA including but not limited to: failure to remove excrement (urine and poop) from the enclosures, failure to provide adequate lighting for routine inspection, and the long list of others found here

I have to wonder if the people charged in this case really thought they were running an efficient and profitable business entity. If their main income had to do with these animals then shouldn't they have taken better care of them? I think for them to be profitable they should have taken better care of their animals. This is just a bad decision on their part. The animals do not deserve to live in horrid conditions. 

I must admit this week I decided to go more on the tamer side of abuse and neglect (if there even is such a thing). The blog last week was really hard for me to deal with. It left me with an ill feeling all week. I do not have a very weak stomach. I have two nieces and I have seen a lot of really nasty things. This Blog has really opened my eyes to the business end of animal abuse, neglect, hoarding, etc. There are a lot of corrupt people in the world that really should not be doing business with animals as their number one source of income. There is no reason that they could not have cleaned up after these animals, besides pure laziness. I do not think there was a lot of abuse in the terms of beatings, shootings, or other violent abuse. This was mostly neglect, still abuse just not as violent.

I think that if people really wanted to do anything business related and receive profits for it they need to understand that they need to care for their "product." I do not like referring to them as that, but that is basically what they are for people in this business. The animals become like a bag of dog food to some people. The animals are treated like something that can be shoved onto a shelf and just expected to sell. I think that the people responsible for this should be treated the same way the animals were. Call me old fashioned, but that is the way I think it should be. I can guarantee they will not like it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. The animals should not live in horrid conditions!If someone is going to run a business involving animals then, they need to take care of the animals! The animal need to be housed in a clean enviroment, fed and if necessary, taken to the vet. If people are unable to do these things, they dont need to have pets to raise or sell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you about the animals living conditions. We don't live with excrements surrounding us so why shold they have too? Those people deserved the violations b4ecause they were not adequately taking care of those animals and i hope they are not still open for business.

    ReplyDelete