Sunday, October 10, 2010

Indiana Amish Puppy Mill

This video may be disturbing to some people. Although, this is not nearly as graphic as the others I have posted it is still disturbing because of the apparent neglect and abuse going on.
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2303502/7242336

     This puppy mill in Indiana is run by an Amish man. He says he has right about 70 dogs in his kennel. He talks as if the woman is interested in buying him out. The video was done undercover. The woman filming asked him several question including: Do you take them to a vet? His reply: I don't use a vet., What happens if one gets really sick? His reply: I put them down., and How do you put them down? I get my gun and the dog and take care of it. He also goes on to say that his dogs are really good to him. It does not look as if he is good to his dogs. There was one dog that had its leg chewed up by another dog in a different cell. The dog was rescued about an hour after the filming. Unfortunately, the dog died twenty minutes after it got medical attention.

     I have to wonder to myself if this is worth the money he made doing it? He says he brought in $100,000 in the last year and did not claim any of it on taxes. He says it is all unaccounted for because it was cash. He said there were a few sales of puppies that were paid in check and he had to report those. Is this really worth the animals well being to be pushed to have babies in this way? He would be using his stock over and over and that would be hard on the female dogs. If he continued this way, wouldn't all of his dogs end up all being related? Then, would he continue breeding them?  I think the business end of this would be bad for him. If he keeps going he will get a bad reputation and no one will want to buy a puppy from him. His dogs taking care of him won't matter anymore. Then what is he going to do if his company crumbles because of his bad reputation. Will he take all the dogs out with his gun and take care of them?

     The video talks about him not going to trial over this because the state attorneys didn't think a jury would convict him of animal cruelty. Well, let's see if I were sitting on that jury my answer would be guilty without question and I would not sway from my position. I think if they had followed through with this trial he would have been convicted of animal cruelty. No animals should ever be treated in this way for profit or not!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, puppy mills. Still in business because of those that still insist on purchasing from a pet store. How can one claim ignorance with the information out there today?

    This is a job for the USDA. Any county or state that allows this to continue should be shamed.

    Indiana is also home to the famous "Shipshewana" horse auction. A lovely way to welcome those who have visions of the quaint, simple country life of the Amish. Not.

    ReplyDelete