Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dog fighting business in Moraine, Ohio

An investigation lasting a year, came to a head when there were simultaneous raids on seven kennels and a warehouse where alleged dogfighting had been going on.On March 24, 2007, law enforcement agencies came onto the properties to find sixty-four dogs that were thought to have been bred to fight. John Goodwin, the deputy manager of animal fighting issues for the humane society said, "The dogs will be euthanized because they were bred to fight, even if they appear friendly."

There were two dozen suspects arrested. There were also drugs, guns, and money present and were seized in the raids. The dogs were moved to temporary housing by Humane Society officials.

One of the suspects arrested, Terry Kendrick, was said to have ties to dog fighting rings in Florida, Texas, and New York. When the agents first saw the suspect's College Hill home they counted 16 pit bulls in the basement. When they returned there during the raid they found only 13. The agents have said the dogs fates were surely death. It is said that this suspect also had ties to former NFL star Michael Vick, the quarter back whose career was cut short when he went to prison on dog fighting charges.

I could keep going and going about this case. However, the simple truth is that this was not a legitimate business venture. The U.S. is known for being the land of opportunity, not this kind though. The law states that anyone can open any kind of business as long as it is lawful. This was not a lawful business. Look at how many of these poor animals suffered because of some low life wanting to make and easy buck. There are going to be arguments that Pit Bulls are bad dogs...they have a chemical imbalance because of their breeding...my biggest thing is, this is still a living breathing feeling animal. They may have a bad rap, but I think it is people that do this kind of stuff that causes them to have that. I believe that there are absolutely wonderful Pit Bulls out there. They could be terrific pets! I think the ones that have given the breed a bad reputation are the ones that have been taught and bred to fight.

I worked with a guy one time at a pet store that told me he fed his Pits gun powder and cow's blood to make them mean. When I asked him why he would do that he said...They need to be able to protect my home! I immediately left this man alone and tried to never speak to him unless it was necessary. I did do more than just that, but that is off the subject. How could anyone do that to an animal? There is nothing that can change that either once it is done. The damage has been done there is no taking it back.

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/11090/OH/US/

4 comments:

  1. The fact that harming animals is considered a sport is a shocking turn for the US. When these animals turn on their owners it always creates a stir. But how can people be shocked that the animals are doing what they were raised to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These people are sick.They are training these
    dogs to fight because they want to make money. These poor dogs are being put down because of the idiots that breed them to fight. Maybe these idiots should be put down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shanda,
    My friend has had pit bulls all of her life and she has never had any problems and I have seen the dogs around her nieces and nephews and even my children and they were great. I agree with you, it's not the dog, it's the idiots raising and breeding them. I think there should be stiffer penalties for dog fighting and improper breeding. Someone should speak for those who cannot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Shanda I cannot believe a coworker of yours told you about feeding his pit gunpowder and cow's blood.. Really? How could that fill a dog up and keep it full till its next feeding time. And for this post to be about a business like this being ran in Moraine, OH really hits home because thats the next suburb from mine.

    ReplyDelete