Sunday, September 26, 2010

Dairy Farm Brutality

This is a dairy farm in Plain City, Ohio not too far from Columbus. The pictures and video were taken by hidden camera. I must warn ahead of time any video related to this story is extremely graphic! The people involved have been charged with animal cruelty. The really sad thing about it is the owner was doing the abusing as well. There were employees that were punching cows, bulls, and calves in their heads. One of the employees dropped a calf from about five or six feet overhead and then kicked the calf in the head several times. There was an employee that tied a bull by the nose to a metal bar and proceeded to hit the bull in the head with a crow bar. There was another incident where an employee poked a cow with a pitchfork very hard in the side. There was one man in the video saying that it felt so good once he got started that he just had to keep going.

This entire story is just completely disgusting. I started watching the video and I almost got sick to my stomach. I could not finish watching it. The people I think need to have some more charges pressed on them. The owner should be charged with animal cruelty and should not be allowed to ever run a business related to animals. If he does decide to run a business related to animals, he should be fined and sent back to jail. I think this should be in effect even if it is found that he is not proven to be abusing the animals again. These animals do not deserve to be treated this way.

There needs to be stricter penalties for crimes of this nature. The one employee that was charged with animal cruelty received eight months in jail. I know for the courts to find that they have done to them what they did to these animals would be cruel and unusual punishment. I still think that there needs to be stiffer penalties for animal abuse. There should be mandatory psychiatric help for anyone that abuses animals as well. I think that if anyone is abusing animals like this, this person is not mentally healthy. Most of us know what pain feels like. Why would anyone want to inflict pain on other people or animals? I think that animals need to have a lot more protection from people like these. There is no excuse for what these people did.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20006028-504083.html

3 comments:

  1. I am ashamed as a human being to hear of people actually treating a defensless animal like that. I completely agree on the stricter penalties for people who treat an animal with such brutality. I also agree with the mentaly stability or lack there of for a person to enjoy torturing an animal, it raises the question of whether or not they would have that same tendency if it was a human being. Disgusting, need I say more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that the penalties need to be stricter. I am amazed at how cruel and inhumane people can be!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Farming is a hard life and it's dirty work. That being said when you get that large of concentration of animals and the lack of people lining up to work on an animal line the chance of abuse greatly increases.

    Unfortunately the blatant abuse can occur at the auction yards also.

    I believe it was Ghandi who said something to the effect of we are to be judged as a nation by the way we treat our animals.

    ReplyDelete